WHAT DOES A DOULA DO?
- Recognizes birth and the postpartum as key experiences that the birthing family will remember all their lives
- Understands the physiology of birth and the postpartum experience and the emotional needs of a family crossing the threshold.
- Assists their clients in preparing for and carrying out their plans for birth and setting up realistic postpartum goals
- Maintains connection with their clients throughout their perinatal experience
- Provides emotional and tactical support, physical comfort measures, and an objective viewpoint
- Helps their clients get the information they need to make an informed decisions and set reasonable goals
- Facilitates communication between their clients and their clinical care as need